FAQ for Current Students

When are meal times?

Breakfast: 8:15 am – 10:00 am
Lunch: 12:15 pm – 1:30 pm
Dinner (weekdays): 5:45 pm – 7:00 pm
Dinner (weekends): 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
Formal: 7:30 – 9:00 pm
Brunch (weekends): 11:00 am – 1:00 pm

What are formal rules? 

  1. Drinking games and the excessive consumption of alcohol will not be tolerated
  2. If you sign up to a formal you must attend. If you cannot attend after signing up, you should try to find somebody to take your place, unless there is a reserve list. If you cannot do this, email the JCR Domestic Representative by 12pm of the day of the formal. Failure to do this will result in a £5.25 charge.
  3. There is a maximum of one bottle of wine per person. No other alcohol is permitted.
  4. The use of mobile phones, cameras, or other electronic equipment is not permitted.
  5. You must be dressed appropriately. Formal dress is usually required, that is, suit/smart shoes/dress. Mega-formals require Black Tie attire. Gowns are required unless specified otherwise.
  6. Formals start promptly at 7.30pm. If you come in late, that is, after High Table have entered, you will be turned away and fined £5.25.
  7. Once High Table has entered you should avoid leaving the hall. If you have to leave, you must walk up to High Table, meet the gaze of the presider (usually the principal), bow, and leave. If you re-enter, you must bow again after you enter.
  8. Gowns must be worn throughout, unless the person presiding has taken theirs off. This does not apply at some formals, for example themed formals.
  9. Toasts are only to be made by those sat at High Table and the student who rings the bell (i.e. Senior Man/Woman or MCR President). This technically applies even after High Table has left. If you would like a toast to be made (e.g. for somebody’s birthday), simply ask an SCR member on high table before formal begins.
  10. The response to the opening grace is Amen and the response to the closing grace is Deo Gratias.

What are college bar opening times?

Monday: 19:30 – 23:00
Tuesday: 19:30 – 23:00
Wednesday: 20:00 – 23:30
Thursday: 19:30 – 23:00
Friday: 20:00 – 23:30
Saturday: 20:00 – 23:30
Sunday: 19:30 – 23:00

You can find updated times in the ‘About’ section on the bar’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/St-Chads-College-Bar-252980718143820/about/?ref=page_internal

What are toastie bar opening times?

Toastie bar is open Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, 8:30 pm – 11:30 pm.

When are bar, door and toastie shift timings?

Bar staff: Please arrive 15 minutes before opening time.
Door staff: Please arrive 10 minutes before opening time.
Toastie shift: Please be in Quad Bar by 8:15pm.

Please refer to above for opening times.

How much are gym subs and how do I pay for them?

Gym subs cost £35 for the year, or £15 for a term. Payments can be made by cheque or cash in labelled envelope with your name/what you are paying for into JCR box. Alternatively, you can cashew to the College JCR account, or a bank transfer can be made. Details are as follows:

Bank Transfer Account Name: St Chad’s JCR
Account Number: 90773298
Sort Code: 20-27-41
Payment Reference: GS + [First Initial] + [Surname] e.g. for Andy Montague GSAMONTAGUE
Cheque made out to St chad’s JCR – post in JCR payment box in reception.

How do I report something broken in the gym or suggest improvements?

Please contact the current College Keeper of the Punishment Chamber (i.e. the gym) directly.

How do I use the college library system?

You may check out books in the Reserve Library, during the following opening times: ___. You can find the updated times on the sign in front of Reserve Library door.

To check out books, drop them into the check-out box in the Brewis, or hand them directly to the librarian on duty.

In other libraries (including the Weatherall, Fenton, Transtoun, Williams and Brewis), books are reference only, so please return books to their original shelf position when you are finished with them.

How can I get college to order a new library book?

Email our college librarian, Jenny Parker (at jenny.parker@durham.ac.uk), with the details of the book (including publisher and sedition), for her consideration.

Can I organise my own event in college, and if so, how?

Absolutely. Past initiatives have ranged from a holocaust survivor talk, to a charity pole-dancing event. Have a look at the term card to check for free dates, and contact the Senior Man/Woman with your plan for approval.

How can I access college career support platforms?

St. Chad’s College Careers and Alumni Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chadscareers/.  Updates for events and opportunities will be posted on here. You can also contact the careers representative directly.

SCR Profiles Page:  www.stchads.ac.uk/college/common-rooms/scr/profiles/. Password is Chads18NorthBailey. You can use the SCR as a resource to give advice about your future career or your academic work. This page allows you to draw on the SCR’s wide-ranging experience and expertise, which is not only confined to academia but also offers a range of private and public sector work. The profiles are searchable and filterable by keywords, and each profile has an email address to make contact.

Alumni networking platform: Coming Soon

Intern:NE: Coming Soon

What are the different sports run by college that I can join?

Hockey, lacrosse, football, men’s and women’s rugby, badminton, squash, rowing, basketball, netball, tennis, cricket, table tennis, croquet, rounders, volley ball, climbing, cross country, ultimate frisbee, pool and darts.

All sports (except netball) are open to all genders). Of the team sports, lacrosse, volleyball, rounders and frisbee have mixed teams, while the others have separate male and female teams.

Don’t hesitate to join new sports later in the academic year!

What are the arts and music opportunities in college?

Candlemas Mini-Decs: Apply to be a mini-dec if you fancy the idea of spending a week creating the art pieces that will transform college for the biggest ball of the year.
Chazz Band: If you’re interested in performing jazz music, without the sheets.
Chapel Choir
Greendoor: College’s very own theatre company puts on multiple productions throughout the year. Other more informal opportunities to perform include the college panto, and the garden party play.

Are there pianos I can play on?

There are three pianos, available in the Quad, the SCR and the Horsefall room.

Where can I find more information about how student fees are spent in college?

As a livers’ out, how can I store my things in college?

There are lockers in the JCR available for livers’ out storage space, for essential items such as books or sports gear. To use one of these, sign your name to a locker at reception, and sign out a key for the lock.

List of possible fines:

(Disciplinary issue: Guideline Fines, Guideline Hours for College Service)

  • Disrepute: £50, 6 hours approx.
  • Removing Property from College: £20, 4 hours approx.
  • Removal of Property from another College without authorisation: £20, 4 hours approx.
  • JCR Damage (in addition to payment for actual damage): £10, 2 hours approx.
  • Vomit Fine:  £30

Where can I keep my bikes?

Lightfoot: through the first door to Lightfoot, there bike racks out at the back opposite to the bin storage

Grads: There is a bike shed, also for Ramsey and Langford bikes

Queens: Bike storage in the enclosed yard behind the kitchen

Epiphany: Bike storage in backyard

Some useful links:

Maintenance form: https://www.stchads.ac.uk/college/accommodation/maintenance-request-form/
Toastie bar volunteers page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1801674700070086/
Bar volunteers page: Coming soon