Sandi Russell (1946-2017) was a renowned jazz singer, writer, and educator. St Chad’s College is proud to offer this scholarship in her memory.
St Chad’s College will award ONE Sandi Russell Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship, worth £1500 for each year of a three or four year undergraduate degree programme, to a student entering the College at Foundation Level or Level 1 in the 2021-22 academic year.
- This scholarship is offered to applicants who identify as having a Black, Asian, or Minority Ethnic (BAME) background AND/OR who identify as a person of colour.
- NEW – This scholarship is now offered to applicants of any gender.
- Applicants must demonstrate ‘financial need’ – based on a household income assessment as conducted by your student finance company . Financial need is defined as either household income below £25,000 or below £40,000 as determined by your student finance company, with preference given to income below £25,000.
Level of Study: Undergraduate
College: Applicants must specify St Chad’s College as their College choice on their UCAS application for Durham
Mode of Study: Full-time
Duration Successful recipients will receive £1,500 per year for a maximum of three years of undergraduate study. Funding can be used as either maintenance support or payment towards tuition fees. This is a grant rather than a loan, and does not need to be repaid.
Value: Up to 3 / 4 years of consecutive undergraduate study.
Year of Entry: New applicants for the academic year starting October 2021
Domicile: UK / EU / International
HOW TO APPLY
Prospective applicants must:
Stage 1: submit an academic application to Durham University via UCAS specifying St Chad’s College as your college of choice by the UCAS deadline.
Stage 2: submit to St Chad’s College by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) addressed to the Principal, Dr Margaret Masson:
- an application including a personal statement of not more than 1,000 words describing how your personal circumstances make you eligible for this award (see Eligibility), how the bursary would help you to study at Durham University and why you want to study at Durham University and St Chad’s College.
- a character reference from one of your teachers / tutors in support of your scholarship application to be sent by email to email@example.com. Please ensure your referee submits the reference on letter headed paper which contains their name, position, contact details and your full name.
- a copy of your student finance company assessment letter to be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (If you are waiting for confirmation of your entitlement please submit your scholarship application and forward details of your assessment letter as soon as you can).
Scholarship applications accepted from: 1st November 2020
Scholarship application deadline: 11:59pm, 31 March 2021
All eligible applications for the Sandi Russell Undergraduate Scholarship will be considered on the basis of their personal statement, reference and academic status by two of the College Officers of St Chad’s College. The financial and personal information you provide will be treated in strict confidentiality by members of the selection panel. Other scholarship awards may be taken into account when considering scholarship allocation. Awards are made at the discretion of the panel. The panel reserves the right not to make an award in any given year if it is deemed that no applicant has met the criteria.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a short informal interview during the Residential Open Days at St Chad’s College in March 2021. Interviews will take place in a staff member’s office. Shortlisted candidates may claim reasonable travel expenses from the College, and will be accommodated in the College for one night free of charge.
***** DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC RESIDENTIAL OPEN DAYS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED ALL INTERVIEWS FOR AWARDS FOR 2021 ENTRY WILL NOW TAKE PLACE ONLINE *****
CONTACT: For further information:
Phone: +44 (0)191 334 3357